Regular analysis and review of occupancy pattern of passenger coaches is undertaken and efforts are made for introduction of new trains, enhancement of extra coaches in the existing trains and running of special trains subject to operational feasibility, commercial justification, availability of resources etc.
Coaches for passenger services are provided with a certain level of amenities and fittings, which conform to laid down safety benchmarks. The amenities provided in coaches include:
• Cushioned seats/berths, toilet & washbasins facilities etc. in all mainline coaches.
• Looking mirrors, snack tables, magazine bags, water bottle holders, coat hooks, small luggage racks, luggage securing arrangements, mobile/laptop charging sockets etc. in reserved coaches (including sleeper class coaches).
• Curtains for aisles/windows and dustbins etc. in all AC coaches.
• Lights, fans, night lights and emergency lights in all passenger coaches. The Safety Standards in coaches include:
• The coach shell structure is of an “Anti-telescopic” design to enhance safety.
• Coach furnishing materials conform to stringent fire retardant parameters.
• The interior fittings/furnishings of the coaches are with ‘injury-free’ design features.
• Emergency Alarm Chain apparatus in all coaches for stopping the train in emergency.
• Emergency windows in all coaches for faster exist/evacuation.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Railways Shri Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury in written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.